Monday, October 20, 2008

Word of the day: Dream

Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition

Main Entry: dream
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: conjure up scenario

Synonyms: be delirious, be moonstruck, be up in clouds, brainstorm, build castles in air, conceive, concoct, cook up*, crave, create, daydream, devise, envisage, fancy, fantasize, formulate, hallucinate, hanker*, hatch*, have a flash, have a nightmare, have a notion, have a vision, hunger, idealize, imagine, invent, long, lust, make up, picture, pine, search for pot of gold, sigh, stargaze, sublimate, think, think up, thirst, visualize

Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition by Barbara Ann KipferCopyright © 2008 by the Philip Lief Group. CITE THIS SOURCEPRINT

I was trying to think of another word for 'make up' and when I see the synonyms that go with dream I think to myself...it's perfect. The 'Search for pot of Gold' synonym reminds of a poem (I threw it away dammit!) I wrote about chasing rainbows. To 'be up in the clouds'...'crave'...'long'..'lust'. Like I said, good word!

No comments: