Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Modified Corn Starch

Ok so here's the deal....I try and stay away from ingredients that aren't natural (ok thats total bullshit Mr. Splenda & Aspartame)...should I start this blog over? No, move forward! So I don't like high fructose corn syrup, corn starch, modified corn starch....pretty much unless its corn or popcorn, I don't want anything to do with it! Ok so I understand that High Fructose Corn Syrup (Sodas, drinks, Heinz Ketchup...etc, etc) is sugar from the cornstarch which is changed to fructose (sugar changing into another form of sugar....Fabulous!)

But when I was researching that modified starch (corn, wheat, potato or rice) is used for texturing I could not find...can not find an article saying that this is unhealthy to consume. So since I have no edumacated myself of the development and use of modified corn starch I will welcome it back into my life, BUT NOT its buddy High Fructose Corn Syrup (You are never allowed back in the club! HmmmPh!).

I'm also on the hunt for a light/reduced cal mayo, miracle whip or dressing (whatever you call it) that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup...the regular mayo is calorie heavy and I need to either find an alternative or cut mayo out all together :-/....help me out if you know of a brand (Yes! That means you if you go to Trader Joes, Whole Foods or one of those stores!) :-P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI...modified corn starch is another name for High Fructose Corn Syrup. Modified food starch is entirely different and is relatively safe to consume.

Dirty said...

Really? Can you link me where you got that info? Thanks!