Monday, August 4, 2008

On the lighter side....

I was out n aboot (use canadian accent) today and didn't have time to pack my dinner. I was already at safeway so I figure egh! Lets just grab sumthin here. Ok I am NOT a fan of TV/Frozen dinners. They are packed with preservatives/loaded with sodium. If I get one I try to ensure the sodium is below 550MG.

Well I now stay away from the Eating Right boxes by Lucerine because of all the crap they put in their products...so speaking of Krapt, ergh...Kraft :-P
South Beach Living. I've stayed away from Kraft (not their chesse tho) packaged foods ever since I saw what working mom's gave their kids for lunch (do you remember those wonderful Lunchables?!?) Ok, I've digressed....
So I'm looking at the frozen dinners they have and yes they looked good...so I saw Garlic Herb Chicken...hmmm, how much sodium is in THAT? 550mg (23% of the daily rec). Ok...borderline, but u made it. Ingredients; easy to read, some but not many things to look up..for the MOST part dirty approved (I'll post the ingredients at the bottom of the blog). This meal was delicious, only 240Cals (Check your bread in the fridge...if you're not eating nature's own, 2-3 slices make up this meal!), 23g of protein (Tuna eat your heart out!). What I don't like: Krapt! What's up with all the butter! 70mg in cholesterol?!? , 550MG sodium (hey I said you were borderline)...left me with hunger (and I don't eat fast).

Will I buy this again? Yes. Will I recommend it to others? Depends on their diet, water intake, and allergies (Milk & Nuts) but if you're overweight and looking to slim down, then yes! If you have high chol/high sodium then stay away...
I'm going to review other South Beach Dinners at Safeway tomorrow and see if/what catches my attention..and now the ingredients (I do this for people who search on google INGREDIENTS SOUTH BEACH GARLIC HERB CHICKEN...try it, I'll popup!) =P

On a side note when you look/gloss over ingredients, write them down on pen and paper. You'll see how much sodium you consume when you write/type it out (or other ingredients you are trying to avoid)

Ingredients: Fully Cooked Grilled White Meat Chicken Strips (Chicken Breast with Rib meat, water, modified food starch, salt, seasoning[white pepper, black pepper, garlic powder]) green beans, water, contains less than 2% of soybean oil, almonds, chicken stock, modified food starch, parsley, salt, garlic, dried garlic, chicken fat, vinegar, dried onions, whey (from milk), spice, enzyme modified butteroil, soy lecithin, guar gum, autolyed yeast extract, soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt), dehydrated butter, mustard flour, caramel color, wheat bran, wheat, molasses, flavour, annatto (color), turmeric (color)

No comments: